If you're a fan of Worms, the classic game, you are probably asking yourself how to play it on a modern system. An easy solution exists, I will summarize the key-points that steered me into the right direction.
Worms Armageddon is the latest version that is still being updated. I thought it was Worms World Party (it was released ~2 years after Armageddon), that's why I kept tinkering with it, to no avail. After some digging, I got in touch with one of the game's maintainers (CyberShadow, who happens to be a guy from Moldova). He confirmed that:
- Armageddon is the latest version.
- It runs properly on 64-bit Windows 7.
- World Party is outdated, no need to bother with it.
- You have to apply the latest updates to actually make it work; here's a changelog.
As a result of these operations, it works on my computers (Win7 x64 and Linux):
- With an on-board Intel graphics card, while online forums are filled with "Intel card - no luck" comments.
- There is no need to kill explorer.exe or employ any other form of voodoo magic.
- It works with resolutions above 1024x768, including exotic ones - such as my laptop's 1400x1050.
- It also works on everything else (Vista, Windows 7 32-bit, XP, etc).
- It also works smoothly on Linux under WINE (verified on Linux Mint 11, x86).
- My only complaint is that it requires admin rights, but I can live with that.
- Buy the game on Amazon.
- A no-cd patch can be found on Gamecopyworld, to increase convenience.
- Worms Wiki - the place to learn about neat tricks that can be applied in the game.
If you know my whereabouts, I happen to have an archive that has all of the above in it, just unzip and run the EXE.
Let the battles begin!
Comment from: Wain [Visitor]
Doesn’t work with Windows 7 64 bit and the Steam version though..
Comment from: John Jackson [Visitor]
If you are trying to update original versions and update installers are running and doing nothing, you need voodoo magic during update or make explorer.exe crash trying to run original version.
Form is loading...